Step-by-step guide: How to download and install Amazon's KindleGen software
In order to generate Mobipocket and Kindle eBooks, you must first download and install Amazon’s KindleGen software. This free compiler is available from Amazon’s web-site and allows you to generate eBooks compatible with the Amazon Kindle eReader.
Step 1 - Download the installer
In HelpNDoc, click File then select Options.
This displays the ‘HelpNDoc Options’ window.
Click Download to the right of the ‘Amazon KindleGen’ path to download the installation software from Amazon’s web-site.
Alternatively, it can be downloaded from: kindlegen_win32_v2_9.zip
Step 2 - Unzip the compiler
Using your favorite compression software, unzip the newly downloaded KindleGen to a location of your choice.
Step 3 - Complete the setup
Return to the ‘HelpNDoc Options’ window.
Confirm that the path to the compiler you defined (above) is displayed.
If the path is not accurately displayed, click the button on the far right to navigate to it.
Warning: Make sure the path ends with kindlegen.exe as any other file will cause the generation process to fail.
The Amazon KindleGen software is required in order to generate Kindle compatible eBooks. It is free and easy to download and setup in HelpNDoc: Download HelpNDoc Personal Edition for free.
- How to add a cover image to ePub and Kindle eBooks
- Empowering Technical Writers: Harnessing HelpNDoc's Override Features for Unlimited Documentation Variations
- Generate EPub, MobiPocket and Kindle eBooks in HelpNDoc 3.5
- HelpNDoc's feature tour - Create eBooks for the Amazon Kindle
- How to change the initial expand or collapse status of the HTML table of contents