HelpNDoc comes with a set of default (Standard) templates for all the documentation formats. Those templates are located in the "Templates" sub-directory of the HelpNDoc's installation directory, usually under "Program Files\IBE Software\HelpNDoc\Templates".
In addition to that, a user template directory is created when HelpNDoc is installed. It is located under "My Documents\HelpNDoc\Templates" and can be customized in HelpNDoc's options window.
Recent versions of Windows won't allow non-administrator users to change anything in the "Program Files" directory, that's why it is recommended to edit all the templates in the "My Documents" template directory instead.
Template kind sub-directories
Templates are located in the following sub-directories based on their action:
- chm - Templates used to generate compiled HTML Help documentation
- code - Templates used to generate code for various programming languages
- epub - Templates used to generate ePub eBooks
- html - Templates used to generate on-line HTML documentation
- markdown - Template used to generate Markdown files
- mobi - Templates used to generate MobiPocket / Kindle eBooks
- pdf - Templates used to generate PDF documentation
- qthelp - Templates used to generate Qt Help files
- word - Templates used to generate Word documentation
Modify a default template
- Copy the default template's directory from "Program Files\IBE Software\HelpNDoc\Templates\TEMPLATE-KIND\TEMPLATE-NAME" to the user's template directory under "My Documents\HelpNDoc\Templates\TEMPLATE-KIND\NEW-TEMPLATE-NAME
- Edit the template.info file to change the template's name
- Add, delete or modify any other file to update the template's content