HelpNDoc's options can be customized by using the "File" menu then "Options" button. This shows the options window with various sections.
- Application language: choose HelpNDoc's user interface language. This requires a restart of HelpNDoc.
- Load and display RSS news: keep up-to-date with latest news about HelpNDoc as the RSS feed will be displayed in HelpNDoc's welcome page. This may trigger a Windows firewall warning as this requires Internet Access.
- Show ruler: displays or hide a ruler at the top of the topic editor for greater control over paragraph indentation, tabs and table cell sizes.
- Show the navigation bar with breadcrumb editor: displays or hide the navigation bar at the top of the topic editor.
- Automatically hide scrollbars: only show the scroll bars when the mouse is over the control to simplify the UI.
- Default HTTP server port: Specify the default settings for HelpNDoc's integrated HTTP server.
- Use built-in DocX importer: Built-in DocX importer is faster, uses less memory and better imports DocX documents. If some documents are problematic, un-check it to use the external Microsoft Office Converters instead
- Use built-in CHM decompiler: Built-in CHM decompiler is faster, uses less memory and better imports CHM help files. If some help files are problematic, un-check it to use the Microsoft HTML Help Workshop decompiler instead
- To generate some documentation formats, HelpNDoc requires external compilers. This section can be used to setup their path and download them
- Use legacy PDF generator: Starting with HelpNDoc 7.0, the PDF generator has been replaced with a new one which produces better results, faster, yet uses less memory. If some PDF documents are not correctly generated, un-check it to use the old legacy PDF generator instead
Use this section to define the default custom path HelpNDoc will use.
- Default output path: define the default path where project output will be generated when no path is defined. Default is "My Documents\HelpNDoc\Output".
- Backup path: define the path where project backups are stored. Default is "My Documents\HelpNDoc\Backup".
- Dictionaries path: define the path where custom dictionaries are stored. Default is "My Documents\HelpNDoc\Dictionaries".
- Projects path: define the path where projects are opened from or saved to the first time. Default is "My Documents\HelpNDoc\Projects".
- Scripts path: define the path where custom scripts are stored. Default is "My Documents\HelpNDoc\Scripts".
- Styles path: define the path where the default project styles is placed. See Customize default project styles to learn more. Default is "My Documents\HelpNDoc\Styles".
- Syntax highlighters path: define the path where customized syntax highlighters are stored. Default is "My Documents\HelpNDoc\Syntax".
- Templates path: define the path where custom templates are located. Default is "My Documents\HelpNDoc\Templates".
Some keyboard shortcuts can be customized. Select a keyboard shortcut in the list and:
- Use the "Edit" button to customize it
- Use the "Reset" button to reset it to its default value
Use the "Reset" button to reset parts or all options. Note: some reset actions require a restart of HelpNDoc. Available reset options are:
- Reset History: Clear the history of recently opened projects, folders and HTTP server's served folders;
- Reset Forms, Panels and Toolbars: Clear save forms, panels and toolbars size and position and toolbars customization;
- Reset General Settings: Reset the "General Settings" tab to its default values;
- Reset Importers: Reset the "Importers" tab to its default values;
- Reset Compilers: Reset the "Compilers" tab to its default values;
- Reset Custom Paths: Reset the "Custom Paths" tab to its default values;
- Reset Keyboard Shortcuts: Reset all keyboard shortcuts to their default values;
- Reset Everything: Reset all HelpNDoc settings and options to their default values;